Thursday, January 19, 2012

Motivation and Injuries abound

Good news and bad news.

Bad news:  For the past two weeks or so I have been dealing with a nagging deep shin injury caused from an ankle sprain on a 10 mile run with a good buddy of mine Toby.  I believe it is soft tissue, but nothing that time off from running and a lot of active recovery cannot take care of.  Though, I do need to get back to 100% soon so I am able to put in the proper training to reach my goal time of 2:38 at this years Boston Marathon.

Good news: With the bad there is always good!  Although I did sprain my ankle pretty bad with Toby, I did finish that run with him and for him, as he is really trying hard to become more active as a runner but doesnt know pace and sometimes isn't always as motivated to get out there, especially on frigid, snowy days.  I am more than happy and excited that he is becoming a healthier and more level headed individual through the running I have been "coaching" him through.  This will no doubt allow him to more easily deal with the stress that comes with being a professional opera singer in New York City. 
I have also made quite a connection with a family physician whom I met at Fleet Feet when I was educating him on nutrition for a training athlete, and different forms of training and those workouts effects on his body as he is training for his first half marathon.  I keep in touch with him and recently sat down with him at his house and provided a "Running Calendar" to map out his training and help him organize his time through his busy work schedule.  Along with that, I am helping to provide more insight into human performance nutrition and goal setting and motivatinal techniques for the 2nd edition of his health and wellness book.  Soon, I hope I can learn even more about nutrition science, and provide more people with plans to change their lifestyle and becoming healthier through running, mentally and physically.
Finally, I ran a 12 miler with Blake who runs from Fleet Feet, as he is beginning to train for his first marathon.  It was his jumpstart long run, and I was happy to run it with him in order to inspire him and motivate him to keep going. 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your shin injury. I hope you heal in no time and run more with Toby to keep him motivated. I guess that’s what friends are for.

    ReplyDelete